While mold is known to cause illnesses such as asthma, allergies and other respiratory issues, Alzheimer’s disease has also been found to have a possible connection to mold exposure.

Alzheimer’s is a heartbreaking progressive and degenerative disorder that is diagnosed by the presence of memory loss and disorientation. While scientists have proven the brains of people with Alzheimer’s are different than those without it, it is not yet known what causes the disease. However, some recent research points to mold as one of the possible, and main, culprits.

How Does The Brain Of An Alzheimer’s Patient Differ From Others?

Plaques—abnormal clusters of chemically “sticky” proteins—and tangles are the prime suspects in cell death and tissue loss in the Alzheimer’s brain. They cause brain cell death, clogged blood vessels and inflammation, which cause the sufferer to experience progressive forgetfulness, confusion, and memory loss.

What Is Mold’s Possible Relationship To Alzheimer’s?

In 2014, researchers from the University of Madrid examined the brains of deceased people who were diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. They compared those tissue samples with samples from brains of patients who did not have Alzheimer’s and found several fungal species in deceased Alzheimer’s patients were not present in the brain tissues of non-Alzheimer controls. A year later, the same team found that the fungal cells were “internalized inside neurons,” which means that mold somehow found its way into the brains of those with Alzheimer’s.

What Can You Do To Protect Yourself Against Alzheimer’s If Mold Is The Culprit?

To keep you and your family healthy, make sure your home is mold-free. If you have reason to suspect a mold infection, it is best to remove yourself, family, and pets from it as quickly as possible.

If you’ve had a recent leak or flooding, or you smell mildew or see mold spores in your bathroom, kitchen, or basement, time is of the essence in removing it. First, find the source of moisture and dry the area fully by opening windows or using high powered fans. If the contaminated area is under ten square feet, you can remove the mold yourself with a mixture of Borax and water, but make sure to be properly covered and contain the area as you clean, so you don’t spread mold spores to safe areas of your house.

If the contamination is over ten square feet, or you don’t feel comfortable removing it yourself, call in a mold remediation specialist to assess the amount of damage caused by the infestation. A professional will give you a step-by-step plan and cost estimate for the job and will clean your home and belongings from the infestation, so your home will forever be mold-free.

Sources :

http://content.iospress.com/articles/journal-of-alzheimers-disease/jad132681

http://content.iospress.com/articles/journal-of-alzheimers-disease/jad141386

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep15015