We know mold exposure in the home can cause a myriad of problems in humans, but pets can also suffer from health issues. They, like infants and toddlers, can feel the effects quicker than the average adult because of their size.

What Are The Symptoms Of Mold Exposure In Pets?

Different species can show different symptoms to toxic mold—a cat may not show sickness in the same way a rabbit might. However, there are a few general indicators that may warrant a trip to the vet. If your pet is licking too much, is scratching excessively to the point of bleeding, developing hair loss or sores (but has no fleas), or exhibits respiratory ailments such as coughing, sneezing, a runny nose, wheezing, or labored breathing, it may be due to mold. Digestive symptoms such as a loss of appetite, vomiting, or diarrhea can also be signs your pet has been exposed.

What Is The Treatment Of Mold Poisoning In Pets?

If you believe mold is poisoning your pet, remove it from the source of the contamination and contact your vet immediately. The animal will likely be treated with medication, including antibiotics, to strengthen its immune system and clear up symptoms. The doctor may also suggest your pet not be brought back home until the mold is cleaned up—continued exposure to toxic mold can mean the difference between a pet’s life and death. If possible, board your pet at a kennel or with a friend or family member.

Best Way To Find And Get Rid of Mold In Your Home

To rid your home of mold, call in a mold removal expert to assess the damages. Professionals can advise a homeowner on how to remove the toxin if he or she choose to do the work themselves. However,  it’s best to call in a certified mold tester & mold remediator to make sure your home is now safe for you and your pet. A professional and certified mold remediation expert has the right equipment to properly test every aspect of your home, especially the areas you never thought to look. This way you can guarantee that the mold removal is done right the first time, and advise you of all the preventative scenarios so there is no need to come back.

How Can Pet Owners Prevent Mold Poisoning

With sufficient warmth and moisture to support its growth, mold can be found anywhere inside, and outside, a home. Dirty laundry, drywall, windows, and floors can all harbor toxins. Keep pet food in airtight containers to discourage mold growth and wash your pet’s bowls and toys thoroughly at least once a week. It’s important to keep anything that your pet comes in contact with, particularly bedding, clean and dry at all times. Cleaning the area the animal frequents outdoors is also crucial to its continued health—trash, decaying tree stumps, leaves, or anything else that harbors moisture should be removed. Poorly maintained gutters and drains are also a culprit for mold proliferation, as are cracks in siding, wall, and window areas—caulk and seal them to keep moisture from finding its way into your home.