Would you eat a pile of mold if someone set it down on the table in front of you? Of course not! We all know that mold can make us sick. Besides, it’s nasty and smells bad. Yet, you may be doing just that without even knowing it. According to new research up to 62% of dishwashers contain dangerous mold. That means that each time you sit down to eat, your plate and silverware are full of it and can make you sick.

How Can My Dishwasher Have Mold In It?

Most people think that the dishwasher is probably one of the cleanest things in their home. After all, you put dirty things in and sparkly clean dishes come out. There are no visible remnants of the food that went in because the dishwasher cleans itself out after each use. Unfortunately, mold is able to survive the dishwasher detergent and heat of the cleaning process.

Mold loves to live in areas that are warm, wet, and dark. The dishwasher is therefore a perfect habitat for mold to thrive in. It is wet, heat from the washing cycle keeps it warm, and when the door is shut, light is kept out. All of these factors combine to make mold growth easy. You’ll likely find mold growing in the rubber seals of the door, rubber gaskets, on the racks, or around the drain.

How Does The Mold In My Dishwasher Hurt Me?

Exposure to mold in any form is harmful to your health. Breathing it in is bad enough, but directly ingesting it may be worse. Many different forms of mold can grow in your dishwasher, some are fungi and some are yeasts. The different varieties can cause different health problems, but both are harmful. If you have been eating off of dishes washed in a moldy dishwasher, you are at risk for persistent (won’t go away) infections as well as allergic reactions. These risks are escalated for children, elderly people, and those with weakened or compromised immune systems.

How Can I Get Rid Of Dishwasher Mold?

Fortunately, getting rid of the mold in your dishwasher and avoiding the health problems it causes is pretty easy. All you have to do is get rid of the mold. Just using bleach or soap and spraying or pouring water over the moldy areas is not enough. To make sure you get all the mold, you should remove all of the racks from the dishwasher and thoroughly scrub them with a rag or brush. This will physically remove the mold spores. You should also wipe down the interior surfaces with a rag or brush and hot, soapy water. Then, use a solution of vinegar and hot water (half cup of vinegar to 2 cups of water) and spray it on all of the surfaces. You can then put the racks back in and run the dishwasher on the highest setting you can. This technique should eliminate and kill all of the mold hiding inside your dishwasher. For best results, you should do it every month or more.