Finding out that you have mold in your home can be a scary and concerning discovery. You may not know how to get rid of it or may be worried about the potential negative health effects from the airborne spores. Perhaps you are confused about how it got there since your home is newer or well taken care of. Regardless of what you may be thinking, mold in the attic is a serious issue for homeowners and should be dealt with immediately to prevent it from spreading throughout the house and causing more problems.
Is It Normal To Have Mold In The Attic?
The attic of your home is one of the most common and easiest places for mold to grow. It is dark, warm, and unfortunately it is also very humid. These factors all combine with poor ventilation in some homes to give mold the perfect place to grow. On top of the perfect growing conditions, most people don’t venture up into the attic very often. If you do it’s probably to grab a box and you make the trip as fast as you can. Since you aren’t in the attic often, mold can grow undisturbed into large colonies that make it difficult to get rid of. Although mold is common in the attic, it should still be treated and removed as soon as possible before it causes more problems.
What Causes Mold In The Attic?
To put it simply, most attic mold is caused by a problem with the roof. Although this is the case most of the time, it isn’t a foolproof science. All mold however does need one thing to grow and survive: moisture. Therefore, if you have mold in your attic it is caused by some sort of water problem first. Maybe the roof needed repaired but only half was repaired, or maybe a small leak you didn’t know about allowed water to accumulate in the attic. Mold in the attic can also be caused by improper ventilation or improper venting from vents or pipes that let moisture into the air. Having any air pumped into or rising into the attic means that moisture is very likely to accumulate and lead to a mold problem.
Can Mold Grow In Attic Insulation?
Absolutely! If there is moisture, darkness, and warmth mold will grow. Not might grow, will grow. It may take some time to develop but if the insulation in your attic is exposed to moisture from the air or a leak it will be home to mold growth that will spread throughout the rest of the space.
How To Identify Mold In The Attic?
Like mentioned before, not many people spend time in the attic. Every month or two months, it’s a good idea to climb up with a flashlight and do a quick check for visible mold. Use all of your senses when looking. Smell for mold’s characteristic odor, feel the air for dampness, and most importantly look for visible spores. Catching mold growth early makes removing it much easier.
Will Mold In The Attic Hurt Me?
Mold in the attic isn’t quite as dangerous from a health perspective as mold inside other rooms of your home. Since we generally don’t spend time in the attic, the chance of breathing in spores is fairly low. However, if mold colonies are allowed to grow and spread they can pose a health risk for respiratory problems such as asthma, coughing, sneezing, and a sore throat.
How To Get Rid Of Mold In The Attic?
Unfortunately there is a lot going on up in the attic. Although it may not seem like the cramped space is that interesting, it is the home to lots of insulation, piping, and ventilation. Because there is so much going on, removing mold from the attic can be complicated. If there is only a small colony, you can try spraying it with a mix of water and vinegar and then scrubbing it to remove the spores. In many cases, attic mold has spread significantly and it is best for a professional to come in and remove it.
You should also remember that treating the cause of the mold is important so that it doesn’t return. If there is a leak in the roof, patch it. If there is poor ventilation, increase it. If there is moisture in the air, put a dehumidifier in the attic to dry it out. By removing moisture from the attic you should be able to prevent a recurrence of your mold problem.