There are over 100,000 different types of mold, and with that many strains, it’s a given they won’t all look the same. Despite this, when we think of mold, we mostly visualize it as black in color, but pink mold also exists — it is quite common and equally detrimental to health and home.

What Is Pink Mold?

Pink mold, also known as aureobasidium, is a common bathroom mold, frequently found growing around damp window frames and on caulking. Bathrooms lend themselves to damp surfaces, such as showers, tubs, and sinks, and pink mold is often found in grout. It can also be found on wallpaper and carpeting, or behind bathroom cabinets and mirrors.

Is Pink Mold Toxic?

Just like all mold, pink mold comes with its fair share of problems. It can cause respiratory problems, inflammation and infections in the lungs, bleeding in the lungs, allergic reactions, and hives and rashes and anyone can be affected by it. However, infants and the elderly are more likely to experience more severe symptoms. Even pets can become sick by ingesting or being exposed to pink mold.

How To Get Rid Of Pink Mold

As with any bacterial growth, removing it is never easy, but if you choose to do it yourself, apply disinfectant with bleach to the affected area. If your mold problem is restricted to tile or the tub, that should take care of the issue, but more porous surfaces like drywall and wallpaper can be pretty difficult to clean up and you may need to call in a professional.

How to Prevent Pink Mold

To keep pink mold from appearing or reappearing, make sure to leave the door or window to your bathroom open for at least 15 minutes to let the moisture out after taking a shower or bath. If you don’t already have a bathroom fan, purchase one to help dry out any liquid. This will also prevent the moisture from accumulating.

Make sure to wipe down your shower or bath—pink mold thrives on leftover soap and shampoo.

If you decide to tackle pink mold by yourself, make sure you wear gloves, goggles, and a mold-approved mask just as you would with all types of mold. After you remove the mold, sanitize the area with a biocide — if there are any remaining spores left over, this will ensure that they do not spread.

If you suspect you have pink mold, you should act fast before it proliferates and contact a mold remediation professional if you have any questions or concerns,