There are 100,000 types of mold. Some are harmless, but some can be dangerous. Aureobasidium mold can indeed harm you, your family and your property if not treated quickly.

Characteristics Of Aureobasidium Mold

Aureobasidium mold grows worldwide. It is fast-growing, slimy and starts its life as cream-colored or pink before turning dark brown or black. It is referred to as “black” or “toxic” mold.

Can Aureobasidium Mold Make You Sick?

Aureobasidium mold is not of the harmless variety. Inhalation of its spores can cause respiratory problems, including shortness of breath, coughing, sneezing, a runny nose, sinus infections, bronchitis, and even pneumonia. Allergy symptoms including a sore throat, headache, and itchy, watery eyes are also possible. Asthmatics can have even worse symptoms, including an increase in both frequency and severity of asthma attacks.

Not everyone that is exposed Aureobasidium mold will get sick. As with any mold, those that are at greater risk for illness are people with already compromised immune systems, babies, and the elderly.

Healthy people get sick from mold exposure—to what extent varies from person to person. Household pets may even be affected.

How To Rid Your Home Of Aureobasidium Mold?

If you plan on doing the work to rid your home of mold, protect yourself. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) suggests wearing protective gear, including an N-95 respirator mask, long gloves (that come at least halfway up your forearm, not just to your wrist), and goggles to protect your eyes.

As you attempt to remove mold, it’s easy to spread it to mold-free parts of your home during the process. Block off your work area from unaffected areas and use “negative air” containment to rid your home of mold. (Negative air containment is created by positioning blower fans and using air pressure machines to bring clean air into the mold infested space and push contaminated air out.)

The process of cleaning up mold will stir up mold spores, which can be easily inhaled. If you are already experiencing mold-related health problems, your physician may recommend arranging for someone else to handle mold removal for you in order to prevent your further exposure to the toxin.

If you have any questions about mold remediation, schedule a free consultation with a mold removal professional to discuss the work that needs to be done in your home. A specialist will test for mold and give you a written estimate for the cost of the job. Even if you choose to do the work yourself, you’ll also get a chance to ask questions and get much-needed advice from a professional in the field.